Tuesday, January 13

Mumbai Marathon

I am running for Akanksha in the Mumbai Marathon (http://mumbaimarathon.indiatimes.com/index1.html?reload) on Sunday- I am running a shorter distance, cause I haven't been able to train and I'm pretty sure I'm running 7k but am unsure of my details at the moment. As previously mentionned, Akanksha is a NGO focused on bringing light to street children by giving them the education and skills to empower them and allow them to get a better job and hence move into a better standard of living. Find out more at http://www.akanksha.org/ but really read about the children and the situation in my own blog. In our school we are teaching the children in the corridor of a school, after lessons are finished, through some of the year it is shaded, but other times you are either in direct sunlight, or you have the monsoon rains around you. We do have books and pencils and access to teaching resources, but there is obviously a tight budget on photocopies and new materials. The children try hard and with just 2 1/2 hours speaking english a day (for some of them) they really have to, and have achieved amazingly well. And if you want to sponser me please directly contact mum or contact either of us through email, if you don't have our email address message me on here and I'll get back to you a.s.a.p.

No comments: