Saturday, October 25

Divali is nearing

WOW... Divali (Hindu festival of light and the Hindu new year) here is so much more than Christmas in Kingston! I can't remember what it was like last time I was here for it. There are fairy lights covering soooooo many buildings and many fireworks already, (divali isn't until Tuesday, new year is on wednesday). Yesterday I went to my cousin's 'Mumbai International Boat Show' office (very very western style with massive foyer and fountain in the middle). Whilst helping her out with some work a colleague came in and told us to go out into the foyer of the building. Loads of people had come out of office for a bit to decorate the floor with rangoli patterns made from flowers, grass, lentils and other pulses, gorgeously designed.
At the end of the day the boys in our office decided they didn't like the pattern they'd started and so my cousin (Radhika), her friend (Alpa) and I sat about designing and making our own pattern, using coloured powder. Alpa wanted to do a traditional pattern, but Radhika was set on doing a boat themed design. (But the pic is coming up sideways and i can't turn it round :(...) By the time we were leaving someone had gone round and put tinsel and divas (little clay tealights) all around the foyer and the fountain was sparkling. Today the sweets that my grandmother ordered have arrived, my cousin and I will follow tradition and go out delivering them to all her neighbours and friends. Later we will go out and by traditional clothes for this and when we do office Pooja (prayers) tomorrow. Tomorrow is, Dhan Teras (Dhan-wealth, Teras-13th). It is the 13th in the Hindu calendar which is an auspicious day, so we pray for good fortune in the coming year.

No comments: