Friday, November 21

Busy Busy schooling

OOO golly gosh, I am loving it at the school. I've got a group of children who always come to work with me and the teacher is now noticing that they are improving tremendously!!! My grandmother was saying how almost everyone in our family has become linked in education in some way or another, and whilst listing people out, we found it wasn't far from false, so she reckons I should stay on for longer - not sure whether there was an ulterior motive to be had. Last Friday was Children's day (a day to celebrate of childhood and children, special focuses are now being made, to make this day particularly special for uderprivaleged children). The school in which we have been situated had organised a party for children from a different local community, which meant we were meant to be teaching outside in the playground, whilst the children's friends walked by in their best clothes, and music blazed from the hall. Fortunately the school father's admitted it was unlikely we would be able to teach in these conditions and allowed us to use a classroom, but there was much calamity and disturbance as the children aren't exactly the most focused! On Saturday we had sports day trials, to choose which children would run which races when a few groups meet together. It was in a graden just across the road from the area where they live, and at a time when most of them were just wondering around, so a lot of them came along even if they didn't want to compete. A lot of the children's meals are unpredictable so some known-to-be fast runners just didn't have the energy to run. But we made light of it and had fun trying out silly activities like the three legged race and wheelbarrow and taking photos of each other. On Monday and Tuesday, there have been band practices in the playground, so we have been teaching whilst being accompanied by loud bass drums, rolling snares, trumpets and whistles. This not being enough of a distraction for the children, there was also a group of children practising a dance routine using Kolu (a pair of sticks with jingles which are beaten together). The dancing was phenomenal, the problem being the children were all too keen to be watching that as opposed to listening to us talking about prepositions! I have grown to hate worksheets already - the children are so focused on finishing the sheet, they won't realise the importance in understanding the information to begin with. They have a huge fear of getting the answer wrong though, so for each question they'll check the answer with me first, and then ofcourse everyone else will hear them and copy it down. Realising that I didn't want this to happen, one of the girls with a particularly loud voice has started sitting next to me and whispering the answer in my ear to check. Besides being asked to come everyday, I've been asked all sort of wonderful questions which ofcourse i forget in the chaos of the day but there's been stuff like: didi (sister), why are you so gora (white)? didi when is your wedding? and many questions about my family, especially asking me to bring in photos of them. The girls are very neat even though their clothes are often torn and stained, always sorting my hair out for me if they arrive early and telling me straight away if my slip got hinched up under my kurta or its strap has fallen down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, tell me, has teaching been all you expected?

I found that it was blissful for the first month or two, but as it got further into winter it became more and more stressful. Though I suppose there might be a bit of a difference since A) Your not the only teacher, B) completely different culture C) I taught one child, you're teaching many and D) you're teaching them during school hours.

It sounds like the little ones have learned how you function. And yes, rather than learn the information on the sheets, they will try to learn how to answer sheets. I found the way to get around it is to completely hide the answers from her until she finished the sheet, went through what she got right and then re-ask her any ones she got wrong. Basically giving her unlimited chances to get them right.

And if you ask me, the best part of being a tutor is their questions. Do you try to answer their questions or are there a few too many?

By the way, no matter how stressful things may become. When you leave, you will never stop missing them.